Thursday 27 December 2012

Steampunk Thursday: The most Steampunk Doctor Who story ever?

The Snowmen, on Christmas Day. So, what did you think of it?

I have to say I loved it! So much better than last year's Christmas special. I've been completely won over by Jenna Louise Coleman, I loved Doctor 'Scrooge', Moffat was clever as ever (but in an un-alienating way), loved the glimpse we received of the new TARDIS interior, I smiled at the  'It's smaller on the outside' line, it was great to see Matt Smith's face scattered across the stars, and Simeon's snow globe was like something straight out of Stormslayer. And Sir Ian McKellen!

I have to agree with the SFX reviewer that arch-baddie Richard E Grant was under-used, and surely it's only a matter of time before the Paternoster Gang get their own series. But I have one unresolved issue...

Certain elements of the Virgin novels have made it through into New Who, but in one of those stories the Doctor actually met Sherlock Holmes, whereas now Sherlock Holmes is most definitely a fictional creation inspired by the Veiled Detective!

Ho-hum! I just wish I'd written about a lizard lady from the dawn of time solving crimes in Victorian England in my Pax Britannia books somewhere.

And as to whether The Snowmen really is the most Steampunk Doctor Who story ever, join the discussion here.




And while we're on the subject of Steampunk and Pax Britannia, you can now vote for the Preditors and Editors awards, which includes a category for Best Steampunk Novel 2012 - for which Time's Arrow qualifies. You know what to do...

No comments: